Thursday, July 30, 2015

Read a Romance Month

The Joy of Romance

For me, the joy of romance is the chemistry between two people. It's easy to get caught up in outward appearances. Anyone can notice that she's beautiful or he's sexy. It's the details that make the romance in a novel work for me.


Too many times I see authors stress on the obvious. His masculine chest and tight buns, her hefty bosom and legs that go on forever. All good things, sure, but I see those as bonuses, not something that has to be there. Show me how his eyes crinkle at the corners when his smile is genuine and how that sends a shock of awareness through her system, or how she unconsciously bites her lip when she's reading something and how he longs to brush his thumb across that soft skin.

As a reader, I want to feel that tension. I want to know that even when they're not in bed together, the connection between them is so intense it can start random fires. That's how to get me to believe this couple will last long after I close the book at The End.

Questions
When was a moment in your life when you experienced sheer joy? I've had four. I'm sure every parent knows what I'm talking about. The birth of each of my children were moments of sheer joy for me. They are still the reasons for my joy.
Montauk Point, NY

What is a place that brings you joy, or is attached to a moment of joy? Anywhere near the ocean.
I love the ocean. There's something very peaceful and serene about it. One of my favorite places to visit is Montauk Point, driving distance from my home. How awesome is that?

My Crazy Kids
What sound brings you joy? Hearing my kids sing in the shower. I know, weird, right? But think about it. They sing at the top of their lungs, without caring if anyone hears them or not. It's sounds beautiful and joyful. How could that not bring me joy?

A Knight in Shining Armor
What book have you read in your life that has brought you so much joy you haven’t forgotten it? Why? This is a tough one since I love the Harry Potter series so much, but I think I have to go with A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. This is one of my all time favorite romances, but it has a special place for me because it was the book that changed
my relationship with my grandmother from grandparent to friend. We both loved Jude's books and would often get together just to discuss them. I miss my grandmother terribly, but whenever I think of this book it makes me smile, because it's the story that started it all.

Which Chris (Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pine, Chris Pratt, Chris Rock, Chris Evans, or Christopher Plummer) brings you joy? Wow, this is a tough one. But I'd say it's a tie between Chris Pine and Chris Rock. I adore Star Trek and Chris Pine is Captain Kirk. Need I say more? As for Chris Rock, I love a man who can make me laugh, and he does. Every. Time.

Giveaway
To celebrate the joy of romance, one lucky commenter will receive a free eBook copy of my latest release Crazy Little Thing Called Matchmaking (Book One in the Love and Laugh in Seashore Cove series)

Recommendations 
I love reading romance. There are so many authors I adore, I couldn't decide how to narrow it down. I already mentioned Jude Deveraux, so here are two other authors I recommend.

Pamela Hearon 
Pamela writes for Harlequin Superromance. Her stories take place in small town Kentucky, and are warm and fun with a touch of sizzle. 
  
Tina Beckett
Tina writes for Harlequin Medical Romance. Her stories are intelligent, heartwarming and clever. I love how changes the sterile medical world into something you can fall in love with.

I'd like to thank Jolyse Barnett for adding me to her recommendations list  and for inviting me to be a part of READ ROMANCE MONTH. I highly recommend Christmas Light, Book Three in the Christmas in New York series, as well as His Kiss (summer in New York, Book Two). Both awesome reads by Jolyse! 

Until next time, eat healthy and happy writing!

~Maggie