Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Character Interview Blog Hop - Heroes! Dr. Jake Harris

Thanks for stopping by today for the twelfth and semi-final week of the Character Interview Bog Hop - Heroes. Last week, Elizabeth D. Spencer introduced us to her hero, widow farmer, Jake Callen, from her Historical Romance, WHEN CUPID CAME TO TOWN. You can find that on her blog.



Today you're going to meet Dr. Jake Harris (yes, that's the third Jake in a row!) a lollipop sucking, video game playing pediatrician his peers dubbed "The Child Whisperer." Jake is the hero in my contemporary romance Crazy Little Thing Called Matchmaking, Book One in the small town series, Love and Laugh in Seashore Cove that is on sale NOW!!




I'm meeting Jake in the waiting room of his pediatric office before he begins to see patients for the day. He doesn't seem happy about meeting with me alone. When I called him to set up the interview and I suggested this as a meeting place, I swear I heard a gulp over the phone.

My inspiration for Dr. Jake Harris - Jensen Ackles
I sit down in the comfortable sofa and try to hide my smile when Jake chooses a seat as far away as
humanly possible without appearing insulting. Jake is tall, and gorgeous, but looks about as old as my 24 year old son, even though I know he's nearing thirty.

"Relax, Jake."

He clears his throat and removes his Bugs Bunny baseball cap so he can run his fingers through his short, dark brown hair. "I--," he clears his throat again. "I'm good. I just tend to be a little nervous around women I don't know."

Aggressive women is more like it. At least that's what his nurse, Gladys, told me. "Just so you know, I've been married for twenty-seven years."

Right before my eyes, Jake's expression of terror changes to a charming smile. He leans back, rests his left ankle on his right knee and throws his arm along the back of the couch. "That's great! Congratulations!"

"Thanks. Now, lets get down to it. Why did you decide to become a pediatrician?"

His smile brightens even further (if that's possible.) "Oh, that's an easy one to answer. I love kids. I've always had a great rapport with them. I know how to calm them before getting an injection. I can even make them laugh when they're sick. Nothing better than a child's laughter. My sister had a great laugh."

 I'm guessing you want kids of your own one day?"

His smile slips. "Yes, that is my hope."


I'm surprised by his short answer, but I don't push it. The look in his eyes told me not to. "Well, I hope it happens for you. Do you have any hobbies?"

"I love video games, and gardening. You can always find me outside doing something with my yard during the warmer months. I love to cook, and I've been known to get out on the dance floor."

"That's great! I'm not a bad dancer, but plants run at the sight of me. I have a frightening reputation in the plant world." I ask the next question, even though I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. "Do you have any fears?"

Jake shifts in his seat and tugs at the collar of his Scooby-Doo T-shirt. "I've never been very suave around women. I'm not quite sure how to handles those who come on to me a bit too aggressively, but Kate has been helping me with that. She's my head nurse, and she's just amazing."

His eyes reflect a dreamy far-away look. Hmm, interesting. "Are overly suggestive women your worst nightmare?"

His expression melts into a mask of sadness. "No, I don't have a worst nightmare anymore because I've lived it already."

My heart sinks, the look in his eyes so sad. I reach over and lay my hand on his arm. "Care to elaborate on that?"

He looks away, his leg bouncing as his rubs his fingers across his bottom lip, and shakes his head.

"Okay, why don't you tell me who inspires you?"

His smile returns, his silver-grey eyes focus on me once again. "Back to the easy questions. Great! Alex and Drew. They're Kate's sons. Two of the coolest teenagers you will ever meet. They lost their father four years ago. Such a horrible loss. But they love their mother so much, I know they just want to see her happy again."

How do you know Kate's sons so well? Isn't she just an employee of yours?

"She is an employee, yes, but when I moved to Seashore Cove, Long Island, I bought the house right next door to them. How crazy is that? So I hang out with her kids a lot." His brow furrows in confusion as he rubs his bottom lip again. "I used to hang out with them more, but it seems every time I see them now, they always find an excuse to leave me and their mother alone. Not that I mind. I really enjoy her company as well."

Oh I bet he does. "Thanks for taking the time to talk to me. I hope it wasn't as painful as you'd thought it would be."

We both stand and he holds out his hand to me. "My pleasure. I better get a move on. My first patients will be here soon and I don't want to keep the kids waiting."

When I started this interview, I thought I was talking to a shy kid, but as Jake shook my hand, then headed through the door that lead to the exam rooms, I couldn't help but think Jake is no kid. He is 100% man.

Come back next week when Gwen Petrarch interviews her too sexy for the room gay-ish vampire detective, Gabriel, from her erotic M/M romance The Masquerade (here), in the last of the hero interviews! Be sure to keep on following us as we introduce you to the Character Interview Blog Hop - Heroines!

Gwendolyn Petrarch
I began my writing career in the womb.  Sonnets like my great, great, great X 400 grandaddy, Francesco Petrarch (only not as good), corny poetry as a kid and even a song specifically written for Elton John (what can I say, neither he nor I knew he was gay at the time), I segued into romance a number of years ago having abandoned corny poetry and embraced the drama and quirky art of love.  My impending releases (doesn't that sound delicious) are 'Love, Marriage and other Blinding Contracts', 'Money Business' and 'Masquerade' to name a few.


Until next time, eat healthy and happy writing!

~Maggie 





7 comments:

Lil said...

He's so sweet-I just love him!
But gotta say, he doesn't look a bit like my kids pediatrician.

lynnerose said...

Oh, Maggie, Jake is adorable... and intriguing. I can't wait to read the whole story. Thanks for introducing him to us.

Patty Blount said...

Oh, I love him already!

Maggie Van Well said...

I can't tell you how much I LOVED writing Jake! I love all my heroes, but he has a special place in my heart.

Debora Dale said...

Your Jake is precious. Wounded and secretive yet - more revealing than he realizes. Funny thing about those kids leaving him and Kate alone all the time. Adorable. Can't wait to read more about them.

Donna Coe-Velleman said...

Jake is one of those characters you wish were real so your daughter could date him. :)

Good work, Maggie.

Donna Coe-Velleman said...

Jake is the kind of character you wish was real so your daughter could date him. :)
Good work, Maggie